Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The generosity of men...

There is something different between the generosity of a man and a woman. As a woman I hate to admit this, but there is. I am sure many will disagree with me on this, but this is what I have found to be true. Let me also say that I know there are women that give without thinking, and I know that there are men that will not ever give a dime. Todays story involves men that didn't even think twice. My hubby came home with quite the story of generosity yesterday.

My husband was recently told about a young man that is in a battle for his life. Last fall this person was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. So rare that only about 200 are diagnosed each year. They have been aggressively treating it, and recently he was quarantined at a Childrens Hospital for fear of infection. This touched my husband and for good reason. My husband understands that battling cancer is not all about medicine, it is also about your mindset. 

So yesterday while at work he decided to tell his crew about this young man. A young man that none of them have met. He thought it would be great if they could raise his spirits by getting him a gift card to one of his favorite stores. They all agreed, and next thing you know my husband had raised $450.  I was blown away when he told me this story. This is where (embarrassingly) I think men and women are different. He was telling me that no one guy gave under $20.00, to which my mouth dropped. I will be the first to admit that if I had been asked to give money to a stranger I probably would have given $5 or $10... I can almost guarantee it would not have been $20. So the fact that these men opened their wallets and handed my husband $20 or $40 just blew me away. Looking back at my life experiences I think this happens quite often. Men tend to give without thinking or worrying. If there is $40 in their wallet and someone really needs it, they will give it. Let me speak for myself and not all women (I don't want to offend anyone). If I was asked, and I had $40 in my wallet, assuming it was two $20.00 bills... I would only give one. I would have excuses or reasons as to why I need to keep that other $20. The guys gave, without thinking or worrying about how they needed that money.

I am so grateful that my hubby acted on this. Its not easy to ask for money, especially when its for a stranger. He is going to continue to try and raise money until Friday, I cant wait to hear what his grand total will be. Most important I hope that the recipient will be able to use it soon. I only wish I could be a fly on the wall when he gets to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Hearing From You!