Monday, January 20, 2014

Thinking about Martin Luther King Jr. and George Junius Stinney Jr. today

I found this story to be horrifying. As a white woman with three children (one vanilla, two chocolate) I am quickly reminded that it was not all that long ago that this scenario would not have been allowed. Meaning a mixed family... I cant even fathom that. I don't know if you had the chance to read this story over the weekend, but it is quite appalling. 14 year old executed in South Carolina his name is George Junius Stinney Jr and it took place in 1944. The police enticed the boy with ice cream, if he admitted to killing two little girls. In honor of this little boy whose life was cut very short...


I was raised in an area that seemed to love and embrace all cultures, but when I look back on it there was truly not much diversity. I am not sure why that is... We now live in a much larger town, that is a bit more diverse, but there is such a disconnect. I can't tell you how often I have to answer the question "where did they come from" (in regards to my two kiddos) and I would say 75% of the time, when I tell them  they came from our town I am given a look of astonishment. It is usually followed by a "really"... As if they are finding out for the first time that they live in a town that is not solely Caucasian. Those are usually the people that I try to immediately wrap up conversations with. I have no need to socialize with someone that ignorant.

We have come a long way, but still not far enough. Until we can help transform the minds of ignorant people, we will continue to stumble. On this day that we honor Martin Luther King Jr. I hope everyone takes a moment to evaluate what they want their role / impact to be in life. Be kind, make a change in the world. Be that change, live it, breathe it, do it.

2 comments:

We Love Hearing From You!