Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Life Journey, what will the New Year bring?


Twenty years ago, where did you think your life would be, today...  Are you there? Are you doing what you initially set out to do?

Twenty years ago I was fresh out of high school, convinced that I would somehow move to a big city, like New York. I didn't have a plan and I had no idea what I wanted to do in life. I was sure that by 40 I would be married, without kids (no desire).  I saw myself working long days so that I could afford to travel the world. My vision revolved around me, not thinking much about others.

Here I am now realising that 40 is not that far off. Have I traveled the world? Not really, I have been to some amazing places but there are entire continents I have not stepped foot on... Am I putting in long hours behind a desk? Not really, my job is now 24 hours! Am I kid less? Far from it, we are up to three now! Am I married? YES! Do I live in New York City? Not even close, the goats in the backyard are proof...

My Life Journey thus far has been interesting. Hubby and I have owned two different homes. Our cars have ranged from BMW to Subaru. Our savings accounts have ranged from little to quite a bit and now three kids later, little again. Our meals have ranged from Mac N Cheese to Caviar. Our clothes have come from Designer Boutiques and thrift stores. We have employed gardeners, and now own a riding mower. We have been both frugal and silly with our money.

Now that hubby has hit 40 and I am not far behind I realise that there is so much more to life than money and things. Tomorrow starts a New Year in My Life Journey. I look forward to the adventures that lie ahead. I have learned to live for the day and not necessarily for the future. Don't get me wrong, we do plan for the future but the key is making every day special and memorable.

One year ago today I was so frustrated with the process of adopting Ademan, that I wasn't enjoying every day. I was wound up during the entire Holiday Season. Not enjoying any of it, and blaming everyone else for making me that way during the Holidays. Silly, isn't it? It was not as if the adoption wasn't going to happen, it was just that it wasn't happening quick enough. Looking back I realize how silly it was of me to become so wound up. I did not gain anything from it, except maybe a panic attack or two.

I am curious to see what this New Year will bring... I have no expectations, except for hitting the road with my family next summer. I hope to enjoy and make the most of it, after all we aren't getting any younger.

As for tonight, hubby and I will be home indulging on King Crab and Champagne. I hope that you all have a wonderful New Years Eve. Please be safe!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, who would have thought, (20 yrs ago) while we where helping you fill out College applications,,, that in the blink of an eye,,, you would be a mom to 3 precious kiddos, a farm girl and loving wife.... not to mention expand your culinary and crafting skills... I love watching you grow, not old, but more experienced in all kinds of ways....
    Happy 2014 ..... now have fun filling it up with wonderful memories... ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you; with age comes wisdom. What is most important in our lives are the people in it. Things can be replaced, not the people we love. You and Evan are living a wonderful (if tiring) life. Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete

We Love Hearing From You!